Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Requisition #: 5948
Terracon Division: Rocky Mtn - North Rock Mtn Region
Terracon Location: Cheyenne, WY
# of Openings: 1
Laboratory Technician III
As a Laboratory Technician III with Terracon you will performcomplex field and/or laboratory tests as directed and/or Special Inspections as required. Exercise selection of test frequency and have the ability to make analysis of data. Under the direction of a staff professional, perform and/or assist with complex field and/or laboratory tasks.
Reports to:Department Manager and/or Office Manager
Position Supervises:As required by position
Essential Functions and Duties:
· Soils – observes placement of fill material and performs appropriate control tests. Reviews data for compliance with project requirements, reviews and/or observes soil conditions in simple footings or piers. Classifies soil, performs moisture-density, Atterberg limits and hydrometer tests, with limited supervision.
· Aggregates – performs specific gravity and absorption, abrasion, soundness, and deleterious substances tests.
· Portland Cement Concrete – performs unit weight and batch yield tests. Observes placement. Produces laboratory trial batches. Observes batch plant operations. Observes reinforcing steel placement.
· Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) – produces mix design and field control tests, extraction/gradation analysis.
· Steel – reviews fabrication and field erection for compliance. Performs visual weld and high strength bolt inspection.
· Special Inspections – performs Special Inspections in accordance with the requirements of the International Building Code (IBC) for one or more certifiable types of construction, i.e., Reinforced Concrete, Structural Masonry, Structural Steel, Post Tensioned Concrete, Spray Applied Fireproofing and other Special Inspections as may be required locally.
* Complete safety orientation program.
* Abide by safety and personal protective equipment policies.
* Demonstrate safe work practices and avoid unsafe behaviors.
* Drive defensively, avoid preventable accidents and always wear a seat belt.
* Attend regularly scheduled safety training.
* Report all unsafe conditions to your Supervisor.
· May perform drafting when necessary.
· May perform other duties as assigned.
* The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, climb or balance; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk, sit, or smell. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee may be required to drive, often hundreds of miles per day. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 35 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
· Basic math skills.
· Ability to clearly communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.
· Ability to read maps and follow directions.
· Participate in the medical monitoring program, if required.
· Pass the 40-hour safety training Program, if required.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places, extreme cold and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment will typically be moderate to moderately loud.
* Overnight travel may be required with this position.
* High school diploma or equivalent.
* 5 years of overall related experience and demonstrated competence in work assignments.
* Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history (unless other arrangements have been approved by Division Manager and Corporate).
* For personnel performing testing of concrete and concrete-related materials, certification by the American Concrete Institute (ACI) in one or more of the following areas: Concrete Field Testing Technician – Grade I, Concrete Strength Testing Technician, Concrete Laboratory Testing Technician – Grade I, Laboratory Aggregate Testing Technician or an equivalent recognized certification from a State Department of Transportation that requires a written examination.
* For personnel performing soils testing, attendance and participation in and the passing of a written examination in an approved course related to the operation and safety of nuclear density gauges.
* For personnel performing structural steel and or nondestructive testing services, should have documented training and testing to be classified as an ASNT Level II related to service being provided.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
In our efforts to maintain a safe and drug-free workplace, Terracon requires that candidates complete a satisfactory criminal background check and pass a drug screen prior to employment.
**No Recruiters/Agencies Please**
"Terracon" collectively refers to Terracon Consultants, Inc. and its related/affiliated companies (H.C. Nutting and TSVC, Inc.). We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, handicap, age, sex, or veteran status. If an offer is extended and accepted, the new employee must pass the following requirements: drug screen, driver evaluation criteria, and verification of licenses/certifications and educational degrees.